The term pediatric refers to infants, children and adolescents; anyone from 0 to 18 years of age.
Pediatric physiotherapy is a very large category that encompasses many different conditions. Some things that physiotherapists can help with include:
- Gross motor skill development
- Ex: rolling, sitting, crawling, standing, walking, throwing, catching, running, jumping
- Activity or sport-related injuries
- Growth-related difficulties
- Ex: Osgood-Schlatter’s Disease, Sever’s Disease
- Specific Conditions:
- Ex: Congenital muscular torticollis, Brachial plexus injury
- Concussion (see our concussion page for more information)
Treatment may include manual therapy, soft tissue mobilization, exercises and education. Especially for infants and young children, therapy is often integrated into daily tasks, parent interaction, positioning and play.